- DON’T think the other person must always agree with you
DO recognize that everybody is entitled to his/her opinion, and that there is something wrong with you if you are expecting him/her to be a ‘Little Sir Echo’.
- DON’T think your feelings should come first
DO recognize that if you are grown-up in your attitude to people, it is natural to consider them at least as much as you consider yourself.
- DON’T think the other person should drop whatever he/she doing the moment you appear
DO recognize that this is acting like a spoiled child and that it is likely to make other person cross.
- DON’T think you have the right to interfere and try to change the other person
DO recognize that this is just about the surest way of destroying the feeling between you. Even when you believe the other person is wrong, or behaving foolishly, it is wise to be patient.
- DON’T think that you can be boss
DO recognize that even if you are good at organizing things, the other person should be encouraged to play an equal role. Any relationship of the follow-my-lead type is an unequal relationship. Should a weaker personality become dependent on a stronger partner, it can be harmful to both.
- DON’T think the other person should want only you, and get cross if he/she is interested in other people and activities you do not share
DO recognize that you cannot make anybody share his/her life with you. He/she has to be allowed to decide that for him/herself. The alternative is hurt and frustration.
- DON’T think that what you say and how you behave does not matter
DO recognize that hurtful things hurt more when we like someone. Those closest to you deserve your best in terms of consideration and courtesy. Love needs cherishing, so show how much they mean to you